Recovery After Breast Implants
Breast augmentation is an out-patient procedure, meaning that you will go home shortly after your procedure to recover. Most patients spend 30-45 minutes in the recovery room following the surgery. It is important that you arrange for transportation and that you have someone stay with you for the first 24 hours after anesthesia.
Follow Up Appointments
Your first post breast augmentation appointment with Dr. O’Neill is usually 1-4 days after your breast surgery. Dr. O’Neill advises a post-surgical recovery period of 24 to 48 hours and an additional reduced-activity period of a few days. You will likely experience soreness and swelling for a few weeks after your breast augmentation procedure.
Exercise and normal activity can resume at the direction of Dr. O’Neill and his staff. Lifting restrictions will be in place for most patients for up to six weeks following surgery.
You will be given specific instructions that include: How to care for your breasts following augmentation surgery, medications to take for discomfort, and when to follow-up with Dr. O’Neill.
Be sure to ask specific questions about what you can expect during your individual recovery period.
- What medication will be prescribed after surgery?
- Will I have dressings/bandages after surgery and when will they be removed?
- Are stitches removed? If so, when?
- When may I resume normal activity and exercise?
- When do I return for follow-up care?
When you go home, if you experience shortness of breath, chest pains, or unusual heart beats, seek medical attention immediately. Should any of these complications occur, you may require hospitalization and additional treatment. Do not take unnecessary risks by disregarding these symptoms.
The practice of medicine and surgery is not an exact science. Although good results are expected, there is no guarantee. In some situations, it may not be possible to achieve optimal results with a single surgical procedure and another surgery may be necessary.
It is extremely important that your surgical incisions are not subjected to excessive force, abrasion, or motion during the time of healing. As described, Dr. O’Neill will give you specific instructions on how to care for yourself. With little preparation and planning, you’ll get the best results you could ask for from your breast augmentation in Charleston.
For more information on breast augmentation, please click on one of the following:
- Am I a candidate for breast augmentation?
- What should I expect during a consultation with Dr. O’Neill?
- What should I do to prepare for breast augmentation surgery?
- What actually happens during my breast augmentation procedure?
- What are the risks of breast augmentation?
- What is recovery like following breast augmentation?
- How much does a Charleston breast augmentation cost?
- What questions should I ask during my consultation?
Schedule An Appointment in Charleston, SC
Dr. O’Neill performs breast implant surgery in his clinic conveniently located in Charleston, South Carolina on Daniel Island. Learn more about your options and discuss any questions you may have with a consultation. Call today at 843-881-2130 or contact us online.