What are the risks associated with getting breast implants?
The decision to have a breast augmentation or any cosmetic procedure is one that is very important and personal. When it comes to plastic surgery, Dr. O’Neill advises making an informed decision and learning about all the benefits and risks associated with plastic surgery. This is not a procedure to undergo lightly or for the benefit of someone else. The only person whose happiness you should be concerned about is your own.
During your consultation, Dr. O’Neill will explain in detail the risks associated with breast implants. Once you have had time to ask all the questions that you have about breast augmentation, you will be asked to sign consent forms to ensure that you fully understand the procedure you will undergo and any risks or potential complications. Plastic surgery can be an intimidating proposition, but with guidance from Dr. O’Neill, proper preparation, and risk assessment you’ll come out of it feeling and looking great.
The risks include:
- Anesthesia risks
- Capsular contracture, (forming of firm scar tissue around the implant)
- Pain, which may persist
- Excess Bleeding (hematoma)
- Incision Infection
- Slow/Poor Healing
- Deep vein thrombosis, cardiac and pulmonary complications
- Changes in nipple or breast sensation, may be temporary or permanent
- Implant leakage or rupture
- Wrinkling of the skin over the implant
- Fluid accumulation
- Blood clots
- Possibility of revisional surgery
Implants are not guaranteed to last a lifetime and future surgery may be required to replace one or both implants, if there is some injury or health issue. Over the course of your lifetime, weight loss or gain, menopause, or pregnancy may affect the appearance of breasts, which is natural and normal. If you’ve seen changes in the shape or appearance of your implants, or are considering implants and want to know more about the potential for changes, Dr. O’Neill will be able to answer questions about those specific risks. Call us today at (843) 881-2130 or contact us online now.
For more information on breast augmentation, please click on one of the following:
- Am I a candidate for breast augmentation?
- What should I expect during a consultation with Dr. O’Neill?
- What should I do to prepare for breast augmentation surgery?
- What actually happens during my breast augmentation procedure?
- What are the risks of breast augmentation?
- What is recovery like following breast augmentation?
- How much does a Charleston breast augmentation cost?
- What questions should I ask during my consultation?