Immediate vs. Delayed Breast Reconstruction
It’s important for you to know that you have many options when it comes to breast reconstruction. If you live in or near Charleston, breast reconstruction is a viable option as part of your immediate treatment plan with Dr. O’Neill. Many women prefer to address reconstruction at the time of their mastectomy while others may choose to have their breast reconstructed weeks, months or even years later. Breast reconstruction can be performed in Charleston by Dr. O’Neill when the time is right for you.
Immediate Breast Reconstruction
If you are a suitable candidate, you may choose to have your breast reconstruction at the same time as your mastectomy. This procedure is known as immediate breast reconstruction.
During the immediate reconstruction procedure, your general surgeon completes the mastectomy and your plastic surgeon will begin to reconstruct your breast during the same operation. The advantages of immediate breast reconstruction are many; including the possibility of fewer scars, fewer surgeries, and the possibility of waking up with reconstructed breast(s).
Delayed Breast Reconstruction
Many women want to complete their cancer treatment before deciding whether or not to undergo a breast reconstruction procedure. Delaying reconstruction may be suitable for the following reasons:
- You or a member of your surgical team, feel that it is best to delay the reconstructive procedure due to post-mastectomy chemotherapy or radiation treatments.
- You may be concerned about the recurrence of breast cancer and may want to wait longer before your reconstruction.
- You may be feeling overwhelmed by all of the options and decide to treat cancer first and concentrate on breast reconstruction later.
For more information, please click on one of the following:
- DIEP Flap Reconstruction
- GAP and Other Free Flap Reconstruction
- Latissumus Flap Reconstruction
- Implant Reconstruction
Schedule Your Consultation In Charleston
If you or a loved one is in need of guidance when facing breast cancer and breast reconstruction options, please consider Dr. O’Neill. Dr. O’Neill has been assisting breast cancer patients through the process of breast reconstruction with amazing, confidence boosting results. Breast reconstruction can help you feel like you again! Call our Charleston office at 843-881-2130 or contact us online now.